June 22, 2019, 0 Comments
Akismet, what is it, and how do I use it?
Akismet is one of the most popular WordPress plugins out there, being one one of the first plugins you see when you first click on the ‘Add New’ plugin button. Let’s talk about exactly what this popular plugin is, and why you should be using it.
What is Akismet?
Akismet is basically an Anti-Spam plugin. If you have the blog function available for your WordPress site, then something you will eventually have to deal with is spam. Akismet has a machine-learning algorithm that will identify spam, and get rid of it BEFORE it gets posted to the comments section, saving you time, and credibility. The best part is that this plugin actually works. Akismet has been around for a long time, amassing over 475 BILLION spam comments stopped. With a track record like that, there’s not much more to say
More then just a spam blocker
Akismet is more then just a spam blocker, it will also give you statistics through your dashboard. Another cool thing is that you can use the Akismet widget, to display to users getting onto your site how many spam comments have been taken blocked by Akismet.
How do I install this plugin?
Now, this plugin might seem very complicated to install, but there’s only a couple of very simple steps.
- First, get onto the dashboard of your wordpress site, and click Plugins -> Add New
- Akismet should be the first plugin in the featured plugins list. Go ahead and click ‘Install Now’ then after it’s done, click activate.
- Once done with that, click the Plugins link in your side bar, and you should see this close to the top of your screen.
- Next, click on Set up your Akismet account.
- After click on that button, you will see two options, ‘Activate Akismet’, and ‘or enter API key’. Most of us will not have an API key, so click on the ‘Get your API key’ button.
- Then, you will have to figure out which option to check, if you’re running a personal blog, you can choose the ‘Name Your Price’ and give anything from 12 dollars a year, to nothing. If you’re running a business, then you will have to pick one of the other two options. While this isn’t a free plugin, we believe that it will be worth it to you, especially if you’re dealing with spam currently
- After you finish going through this, you should have your API key, then you can go into Akismet settings and plugin your API key
- Congratulations! Your work is all done, your site will now be protected by Akismet from spam.